It is currently 24 Nov 2017 16:37

Mk2 steering

Come on in and say hello.
  • Author

Eddie103

Mk2 steering

Post27 May 2015 18:19

how much play is acceptable in steering assy ?

iron165

Re: Mk2 steering

Post27 May 2015 18:36

I don't know exactly but did read somewhere on here its about 2 to three inches play at the steering wheel

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post28 May 2015 01:08

That kind of play at the wheel makes me nervous............that's why i'm doing a rack conversion.

Keith Bennett

Post28 May 2015 09:03

Bear in mind, though, that the A40 has a large steering wheel, so needs much more 'turn' than a modern-day car. Dave's machine will be considerably quicker/more powerful than a standard A40, so he'll quite naturally expect much more responsive steering. I've just checked my Mk 1 and it, too, has around three inches at the circumference - and it's only just passed its MoT test.

I believe there are ways of tightening up the steering box but I must leave details of that to folk on here who know much more than I do - not difficult!

Mark Johnson

Post01 Jun 2015 16:03

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's just a characteristic of the car.
You can be sure of Shale!

eskimo

Post02 Mar 2016 10:15

Hi, just a newby here so these may be tried & tested methods but I just last week refitted my steering box after a couple of mods which may help.
The steering on My newly purchased mk1 was scary to say the least so it's been the first repair. I removed & stripped the box (full of never sieze! thanks previous bodgy owner) the main drop shaft was worn badly, the peg was extremely worn (it had been adjusted so the steering locked up at full lock) but luckily the column bearings & the worm gear were good.
The first thing I did was get heart broken (I've just payed to much for an old car and it's a P.O.Sh blues) so I went inside
& sulked. :roll:
The next day I went and reassessed the box, the first thing I did was knock out the peg from the drop shaft, turned it 90 degrees & tapped it back in, I quickly reassembled the box with the top plate mounted backwards with only one bolt so the adjuster lined up so I could see what was going on, adjusted it in the central position till there was no free play & was very happy with the result, no slop between the worm & peg in the central position & only a slight amount at either lock.
The next mod was the seal, I rummaged through some old seals and came up with a 20x30x7 seal which although quite a tight fit over the shaft I figure will be fine given the shaft only moves through 90 degrees at slow speed. For the housing I had to get a little inventive (please turn away now if your an engineer), I found a hole saw which was slightly to large and put in in a drill, I then ran it gently against the edge of the bench grinder until it was a smidge under 30mm
this then went in a drill press and the box housing carefully drilled out, initially it was to small so I gradually crushed the hole saw until the diameter of the hole was such that the seal was a nice fit (this mod has also been done to the idler).
The next job was to bead blast the worn parts of the drop shaft, the shaft was then treated to a smear of slow curing JB weld left for 24 hours then machined down to be a sng fit in the slightly worn housing, the box was then reassembled & refitted & I have filled it with 85w140 diff oil (it was the thickest I had to hand).
The first thing I noted was any slight movement of the steering wheel resulted in movement of the road wheel and a short road test (the car is currently unregistered) down the road & back showed the steering to be light & fairly direct
& best of all no leaks (YET).
Hope this helps in some way.

eskimo

Post02 Mar 2016 10:17

Just realised the age of the original post, hope this is helpful anyway :)

Keith Bennett

Post05 Mar 2016 05:33

That's quite some work you've done there! The resultant "delicacy" of movement between the steering- and road-wheel has certainly cured the sloppiness but I do hope that when the old bird's free on the road, her wheels' natural responses to surface imperfections won't result in your having to continually correct the steering-wheel. Let us know!

eskimo

Post11 Mar 2016 09:53

Lol, should be pretty right there Keith, I think I've returned back to somewhere closer to original that's all
definitely won't be troubling my MX5 for steering accuracy but I'll let you know when I get her back on the road.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post11 Mar 2016 17:37

Well done Steve.........! !

Return to Welcome