It is currently 18 Nov 2017 02:25

petrol tank required

Come on in and say hello.
  • Author

peterhawk58

petrol tank required

Post11 Jan 2016 19:05

Hi all,a belated Happy New Year.

I joined club late last year and met a few of you at Terrys picnic at Chilworth? last year.Had a good time.

I have a 1967 mk2 Countryman and am in need of a decent petrol tank.Have looked into having it renovated but its fairly costly so am hoping a fellow enthusiast might have a spare one.

Please reply here if you have one or know someone who has.Thanks.

Regards

Peter Bowen 3857

Keith Bennett

Re: petrol tank required

Post11 Jan 2016 19:53

Hello Peter - get in touch with our spares guru Derek (details in each Farina News) and see if he can help. He has this cunning plan, which is to act as non-profit go-between for Club members and those who have stuff for sale (as well as all the heaps of goodies the Club itself has in our stores) so there's a pretty good chance he can do something for you.

If you're feeling rich, there are a couple of firms who will refurbish your tank good-as-new but naturally they're quite expensive. (Then again, divide the price with the number of years the tank will last, and it can look like quite a bargain!)

peterhawk58

Post12 Jan 2016 20:19

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your reply.
Have been in touch with Derek since i joined the club last year and he has already supplied me with a number of items.He provides an excellent service and is a real asset to the club.I had the pleasure of meeting him last October at Terrys picnic but,sadly,he doesnt have a spare petrol tank.
Anyway,the MOT is due in March and there is some rust around the n/s/r spring hanger so the tank will have to come out i would imagine.Maybe i will have to have it renovated if i cannot get a decent replacement before then.

Regards

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post13 Jan 2016 15:48

Hi Peter. I'm not surprised Derek hadn't got a Mk2 tank. They're rare ! I'd start budgeting now for having yours repaired/restored. In 4 years watching ebay, i believe i've only seen one for sale. A new old stock one too. ( And there lies a story ! ).

Keith Bennett

Post16 Jan 2016 19:12

Peter, thanks a zillion for your kind words regarding "our" Derek, who quietly gets on with the incredibly important job of supporting us all in our endeavours at keeping our cars roadworthy. Dave's quite right about the Mk 2 tanks - being an ancient Mk 1 bloke myself, I'd quite forgotten how rare those beasts have become. If you're going hunting around the rear spring hangers (brace yourself for some nasty bits) then yes, of course the tank should come out to get some wriggle-room for spannering/cutting/welding/swearing/crying etc etc!

A few years ago our Farina News magazine carried a letter from a Club member praising a particular firm who refurbished his tank and made a superb job of it. I shall try and unearth the article and post it on here. Might take a few days though...

peterhawk58

Post22 Jan 2016 18:21

Thanks Keith,i know of a company near me,at Holton Heath,that might renovate my tank but any extra information would be most helpful.
A chap at the local ex-servicemans club is going to give me a telephone number of somebody he knows who,he says,is wildly enthusiastic about crawling around under old cars doing welding etc......watch this space!!.
I will have to go to Terrys next picnic to meet you all again

peterhawk58

Post11 Feb 2016 16:45

Ho-hum....have carried out a pre-MOT check around the rear end of my A40 and its worse than i thought!!
Not only will the tank have to come out but i will probably have to replace the rear crossmember and skirt as well as have the rear spring hanger box section repaired/replaced.
Looks like Austin wont be going to Terrys spring picnic.
Any idea when the next issue of the club mag comes through our letterbox?

Regards to all

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post11 Feb 2016 17:11

Hi Peter. Next Farina News should land early in March.
Bear in mind, the rear skirt, ( i assume you mean valance ), is not the same as the Mk1. The Mk2 carries on under the car, and the tank bolts to it.........as i'm sure you now know. What are you referring to as "rear crossmember" ?

Mike Hodgson

Post11 Feb 2016 17:50

. What are you referring to as "rear crossmember" ?[/quote]

Illustration 12 Dave

rear body.JPG
Mike H.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post11 Feb 2016 18:24

Ah, in the parts list it's included with the skirt/valance......"skirt and cross member" it says. Got ya ! :D
Next

Return to Welcome