It is currently 17 Nov 2017 19:15

Farina newbie

Come on in and say hello.
  • Author

level7

Farina newbie

Post27 Apr 2016 05:29

For many years I have been a mini fan and owned many but now with a young family have had to find something more practical, I found a mk2 countryman at a good price and in good condition and was sold.I have already sourced a 1275 with 649, cam lcb extractors, and 28/36dcd webber . Now need to find some brake options as spridget parts are scarce here in NZ, For now I have a vh44 booster and green stuff shoes to improve things a bit. Also what wheel sizes do people recommend? I was thinking 14x5.5 with 185 60 .

dave the rave

Site Admin

Re: Farina newbie

Post27 Apr 2016 08:43

Hello and welcome to the forum. I really hope you'll consider joining our club. Our spares service is excellent.
The engine mods are good, though i'd suggest some work on the cylinder head. Actually, IF you can find them, an MG Metro inlet manifold and SU carburettor is a simpler way to go,and simpler to set up too.
I don't know of any 14" wheels that will fit. If you did find some, they'll alter your speedo reading. On my 67 Midget i've got 165/70-13 tyres. Late Midget ro-styles are a little bit wider i believe, so 175s will fit ok. There's also the option of changing the diff ratio to a Midget 3.9 or 3.7, ( these will alter the speedo reading too ). The latter is scarce....perhaps more so in NZ. Also, at a pinch, there's the Ford type 9 5-speed gearbox conversion. A bit of tunnel modding required, but parts for the conversion are available.
Really, the"only" front brake option IS Midget discs.

johnsearby

Post27 Apr 2016 09:03

Hi,
I wish you well with your car. Check that the lcb fits, a Midget one (if that`s what you have) is a different length. Ideally you need a Midget gearbox, or a Ford type 9 conversion, as the bronze bushes in a standard gearbox won`t last very long. If you are looking at what is supposed to be a Midget gearbox take the side cover off. If you can see bronze between the mainshaft gears it isn`t a Midget box (they have roller mainshaft bearings). You really should get some disc brakes; if you can`t get a pair of Midget uprights try JLH Morris Minors; A Minor kit might fit. You won`t get 185/60s under standard wheel arches, you will need to fold the arch lip in and pull the arches out a bit, or use 175/70s.

level7

Post27 Apr 2016 09:43

Thanks fit the info everyone. The moisture I have got is actually out of another a40 was all set up and running but the bodyy is rotten. Re the wheels I think the rolling height off the 60-14 is the same as the 70-13 but if not I can get the speedo calibrated for free (good to know people) I have a friend also whom has a guard rolling business so if needed the guards canbe lip rolled or pumped out. I could just use 175-60-14 instead. What do i actually need for the disk brake conversion? Is it just kingpins, stubs, disks and calipers or do ineed lower/upper arms aswell? I hate found a place in aus that does a conversion kit for the early spridget that had stubs rotors and calipers plus a mounting bracket for the caliper.
Things are a lot different to the mini stuff there see so many options for brake conversions ascend late model engine swaps on those (bolt in kits) still looking forward to the project though, I will put up some pics when I get the car home.

level7

Post27 Apr 2016 10:03

Ok so I checked the tyre rolling size and from the standard 142-90-13 to the 185-60-14 there is 1mm difference static rolling radius and 4mm difference dynamic rolling radius so would not affect the speedo enough to worry about I will just have to test fit one and see What is needed body wise :D

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post27 Apr 2016 10:10

Re the Midget disc conversion.............
Shock absorbers are the same.
Peferably, use Midget wishbones, as they have strengthening gussets fitted. Bear in mind though, that they'll need re-drilling to fit the A40 anti-roll bar. Midgets have a different fixing.
You'll need the Midget "disc brake" stub axles, as they have the attachment for the brake calipers.
Brake calipers.
Discs....readily available and cheap.
King pins........be aware that earlier king pins for drum brakes had a smaller bottom journal.
Brake pipes will need to be made to suit.
Disc back plate

Disc brakes were introduced in Oct 62. Its king pin is :- 8G 4220

Most items will need reconditioning if you buy 2nd hand. Basically, axles, wishbones and callipers.

Mike Hodgson

Post27 Apr 2016 17:33

1 Mk2 wishbones have the strengthening gussets as per Midget
2 To avoid fouling the arb stub axles should be swapped ie left unit, fit to right.
3 Do not use the Midget steering arms (wrong shape )
Mike H.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post27 Apr 2016 17:38

Mike Hodgson wrote:1 Mk2 wishbones have the strengthening gussets as per Midget
2 To avoid fouling the arb stub axles should be swapped ie left unit, fit to right.
3 Do not use the Midget steering arms (wrong shape )

Yes, i forgot about points 2 & 3. Been that long since i had my wishbones off, i've forgotten what they were like.

johnsearby

Post28 Apr 2016 10:58

To elaborate on the swapping from side to side. Midgets (not frogeyes) have different stub axles to the A40 with a cast in caliper bracket. Midget calipers fit at the front of the disc but will foul on an A40 so you swap the uprights side to side so the calipers fit at the back. Make up a simple bracket for the flexy brake hose to weld on to the top of the spring support and use a Triumph Spitfire flexy hose. You need a pair of Midget uprights (not available new) but everything else is available new.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post28 Apr 2016 11:40

It's just the drum brake uprights/axles that don't have the caliper fixings John. That is, 948cc Mk1 Midgets and Mk2 Sprites.
Interesting to know that Spitfire hoses can be used. I take it that's just Spitfire disc brake types ? ( Did Spitfires ever have drum brakes ? ).
Next

Return to Welcome