It is currently 24 Nov 2017 16:27

Just saying hello

Come on in and say hello.
  • Author

ian124

Just saying hello

Post19 Sep 2016 11:09

good morning

My name is ian my dad and I have just recently bought an Austin A40 1960 countryman mk1. We are hoping with some help and many hours of work to get it back on the road. It was last Motd and on the road in 1986.

No doubt over the next year or so I'll be spending a lot of time on the site and probably have many silly little questions as well as some more serious ones.

We already know some bits are missing so hopefully we can still get replacements.

Thanks

Ian

dave the rave

Site Admin

Re: Just saying hello

Post19 Sep 2016 13:48

Hello Ian and welcome. You'll find us a fount of knowledge, and questions usually answered within an hour or two. Our spares guru is Derek. He holds an amazing amount of spares. Bear in mind though, the spares service "is" a club members facility. Therefore i recommend joning the club. It's £22 initially, then £15 annually. We also have an excellent quarterly magazine :- Farina News.
Oh, a Mk1 Countryman is quite rate. Any pics ?

ian124

Post20 Sep 2016 12:21

Thank you for the info regarding the club membership, I have just filled in the paper work to become a member.

At the moment this is the only picture I have i'm hoping to pull it out over the weekend and ill get some better pics.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... EzalM4RVRn

Its going to be a long job getting it restored but will just take our time and see what happens

thanks

ian

Chairman Ed

Post20 Sep 2016 18:01

Welcome to the forum and I hope the club.

Good luck with your restoration.

Keith Bennett

Post20 Sep 2016 18:54

She looks quite good from the front, Ian. Those new headlamp bowls shows the previous owner had firm plans to get the old bus back on the road. It would be a delight to welcome you into our Club and (as editor of the magazine) I'd be delighted if you'd like to share some photos and progress reports with us all.

ian124

Post03 Oct 2016 09:47

Alot has happened in a week, Paid my club membership fee and posted the application form this morning, managed to find time to get the car out over the weekend and took a few more pictures.

The car was owned by a garage for 6 months and has then only had 1 owner from new.

The previous owner had started to restore the car but had riveted and bolted all the new metal work on so we are in the process of removing this and getting ready to weld it back on. Both corners under the rear lights are a little rusty but not to bad. We are at the moment toying with the idea of either replacing the rear passenger side wing or just repairing the one currently fitted.

We have a little bit of welding on the drivers side floor, but we have seen these can also be purchased so may put in a new floor.

So at the moment we have removed both doors, both front wings, front end, sills, inner sills and sanded back a few bits just to have a look at the body work. Currently cleaning the engine bay, sound easy enough but the previous owner to stop it rusting had covered it in underseal.

Rear seat will need some attention looks like it has been wet at some point, front seats have been refurbished in black with red edging and stitching. Engine is original but has been rebuilt and re-bored to 1098, SU carb rebuilt plus many more refurbished or rebuilt parts. We do need to order a new carpet set.

It has a MK2 dash fitted but we do have the original MK1 dash and clocks if we wanted to refit the MK1. It also has a MK2 rear axle fitted due to have better brakes. The original clock from the car has around 16,000 miles on it which I am lead to believe would be about right for the genuine mileage, is there anyway I can check this?

At the moment after a quick check we know we are going to need any rubber on the car replacing, if there are still available including all hoses, engine mountings, steering idlers and no doubt many many more.

Will keep you updated with what is happening current pictures here - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... EzalM4RVRn

Can anyone advise what the actual original colour of this is? and is the black roof standard?

Thanks

Ian

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post03 Oct 2016 12:44

Hi Ian. The colour isn't a standard A40 one. Looks to me like Deep Pink ( RD18 )..............which IS a BMC colour, but only ever used on Mk 2 948cc Austin Healey Sprites, Feb 61 to Sept 62.
For all items call Derek, our spares guru :- parts@a40farinaclub.co.uk 01628 673 472 ( eve's & w/ends ). You'll be amazed at what he's got in stock !

Re the cars colour......i've had this conversation via email with someone recently......was it you perchance ?

ian124

Post03 Oct 2016 13:38

Looking at the original registration it does say it was originally red, I wonder if it looks a little pink due to its age?

Anyway when we come to spray it we would like to put it back to its original colour, was there many types of red for these cars?

Ian

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post03 Oct 2016 16:16

Two types of red Ian..........Mk1 :- Tartan Red RD9
mk2 :- Agate Rad RD22

stoney13

Post05 Oct 2016 17:25

welcome and hello, nice one hope your welding skills are ok, if you are going to mig weld then use gas(co2 or argon) as this will help stop distortion , if you have a tig welder then not to worry,
best of luck with your project ;)
EMA KAY - K- zoid racing ( A40 s/w group & Avon Austineer)

Return to Welcome