It is currently 25 Jun 2018 05:58

Come on in and say hello.
  • Author

Model_1959

Post15 Dec 2017 20:26

Just to say Hi, I'm Paul from Spalding Linc's and owner of a 1959 red deluxe model.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Re: New member

Post16 Dec 2017 13:09

Hello and welcome Paul. Are you a club member ? I can give you full access to the site if you are. We must be the most cost efficient car club, our spares service is exemplary, not to mention our quarterly A5 full colour magazine. Any more info on your car ?

Model_1959

Post16 Dec 2017 16:35

Good day Dave..Not a 'paid up' club member yet..I'll see how it goes?.
My A40 I purchased 4 years ago, Was a one owner 1959 car. You probably know the car Reg: YWF 384 a red saloon deluxe model as the original owner has been a club member in the distance past? The body is still rust free and never been restored and the interior is excellent and still as new..Mechanically engine , transmission it runs like a watch..But the biggest problem I think it's spent years as a ''trailer queen' show car and has not been driven as it was still on factory tyres None of nipples had been greased for years? + the bushes are past there best, The running gear is mix of Mk1, Mk2 and whatever the original owner decided to make? Which leads to problems replacing parts deciding whether there Mk1 or 2 so need to disassemble 1st before buying replacements. I've just have the clutch hydraulics fail, I've changed the slave cylinder but the clutch still won't disengage, Tried the longer rod dodge plus renewed the pipe to the master cylinder with the loop in for a straight length + check the arms not bent + had peep at the thrust bearing though the hole and vacuum bleed so I've just ordered a new master cylinder and clevis pin (A job for warmer weather as approaching 70 years of age my hands & back are not as nibble as they once were getting at the peddle box) So hope that cures or its gear box out job.

Model_1959

Post16 Dec 2017 16:35

Good day Dave..Not a 'paid up' club member yet..I'll see how it goes?.
My A40 I purchased 4 years ago, Was a one owner 1959 car. You probably know the car Reg: YWF 384 a red saloon deluxe model as the original owner has been a club member in the distance past? The body is still rust free and never been restored and the interior is excellent and still as new..Mechanically engine , transmission it runs like a watch..But the biggest problem I think it's spent years as a ''trailer queen' show car and has not been driven as it was still on factory tyres None of nipples had been greased for years? + the bushes are past there best, The running gear is mix of Mk1, Mk2 and whatever the original owner decided to make? Which leads to problems replacing parts deciding whether there Mk1 or 2 so need to disassemble 1st before buying replacements. I've just have the clutch hydraulics fail, I've changed the slave cylinder but the clutch still won't disengage, Tried the longer rod dodge plus renewed the pipe to the master cylinder with the loop in for a straight length + check the arms not bent + had peep at the thrust bearing though the hole and vacuum bleed so I've just ordered a new master cylinder and clevis pin (A job for warmer weather as approaching 70 years of age my hands & back are not as nibble as they once were getting at the peddle box) So hope that cures or its gear box out job.

Mike Hodgson

Post16 Dec 2017 17:48

The loop in the hyd pipe is there for a purpose .It absorbs vibration and the movement of engine gearbox unit.If too rigid it can fracture.
Mike H.

Keith Bennett

Post16 Dec 2017 19:18

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for keeping an A40 safe. Dave points out that our Club has an exemplary spares service. I can expand on that by saying that our Derek consistently sells high quality spares to members at prices often lower than commercial suppliers and he's commissioned re-manufactured A40 repair items unavailable elsewhere. Even if your car isn't in need of help (yet), our extraordinarily low annual subscription of just six bob* per week (oh dear, have I just given my age away?) is surely worth paying if only to help support the 366 folk who also have a more than passing interest in these comparatively rare classics.

* Okay, for you youngsters that's actually 29p per week, £15 per annum.

Model_1959

Post16 Dec 2017 20:24

Mike Hodgson wrote:The loop in the hyd pipe is there for a purpose .It absorbs vibration and the movement of engine gearbox unit.If too rigid it can fracture.

I made it from copper and just used the original fittings.

Mike Hodgson

Post17 Dec 2017 12:14

Model_1959 wrote:
Mike Hodgson wrote:The loop in the hyd pipe is there for a purpose .It absorbs vibration and the movement of engine gearbox unit.If too rigid it can fracture.

I made it from copper and just used the original fittings.

Should still have a loop in it.It's a rigid pipe attached to a unit that can flex and vibrate.
Mike H.

Return to Welcome