It is currently 17 Oct 2018 16:06

Recent new members

Come on in and say hello.
  • Author

chris mockridge

Re: Recent new members

Post28 Mar 2018 08:28

Hi

I'm a new member from Somerset who has owned a MKII countryman for all of two weeks.
As you can see from the picture Fiona the Farina as we have named her is in need of some attention which she will be getting over the coming weeks
Attachments
13-03-18 (5).jpg

Keith Bennett

Post28 Mar 2018 09:02

Chris, that's an - um - "interesting" resto job you've taken on; I've seen worse in scrapyards but I commend your spirit of unbeatability! The Countryman model is always in demand but relatively scarce because (and yours is a perfect example) they were worked to death as a versatile 5cwt van cum-weekend saloon car.

Do keep us informed on progress; you're amongst friends here and between us we have a multitude of hints, tips and experiences to help you along. (And, with my editor's hat on, perhaps an introductory letter to Farina News will engender a lot of interest/sympathy/astonishment etc etc)

ps: Having just taken a closer look at Fiona's bodywork I must strongly recommend you contact Derek, our spares guru, regarding replacement panels. Although sometimes cheaper ones are sold on the internet they are inevitably of thinner steel; the Club's on the other hand are very sturdy. In particular do not buy any replacement sill which doesn't have the forward "nose" extension. It forms the third part of a steel sandwich at the base of the 'A' post which helps support the car's very heavy doors. Skimp on these and you'll have awful trouble getting the doors to fit cos they'll keep sagging.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post28 Mar 2018 17:24

Welcome Chris. :D

Chairman Ed

Post28 Mar 2018 19:39

Welcome Chris, glad to have you on board. Looks as if there might be a job or two to do before Fiona returns to the road. Good luck.

stoney13

Post30 Mar 2018 12:13

welcome chris, im up the road weston-super -mud if you need to give us a shout please do, i have a few 40s in different states of disrepair and one thats on the road as a rat.
;)
EMA KAY - racing ( A40 s/w group & Wessex group)

Keith Bennett

Post30 Mar 2018 16:28

Like I wrote earlier, Chris, you're amongst friends here. Steve 'stoney' Stone is very knowledgeable indeed about the A40 Farina's dark and rusty little corners and, because he's local, he would truly be an asset to you in the no doubt trying times ahead of you.

auntiesoldcar

Post10 May 2018 08:24

I have just acquired A MK2 Countryman Deluxe in Fern Green and Snowberry White, I has been in our family since new
November 1961.
It has been dry stored for the past 28 years and is in remarkably good condition. It has 91,000on clock and Mot history shows that prior to being stored in the five years prior it covered some 150.miles.
After cleaningthe Fuel pump points and Contact breaker points she burst into life and runs a treat.

it my intention to put back on road.

Keith Bennett

Post10 May 2018 19:51

I'm very envious. You've got probably the most sought-after A40, an early Mk2 Countryman. You needn't be surprised the A-series engine woke up so easily - it was just about the best little engine that ever came out of the motor industry and had a long and distinguished career. Don't be fooled, though, into thinking the car's ready for the road: the tyres will almost certainly be perished, the hydraulic fluid will need changing as will the rubber seals on the slave cylinders, and any petrol in the tank should be drained and replaced. No doubt others on our forums will have their own take on what needs doing, but but one thing's a certainty - you're in good company on here. Welcome!

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post12 May 2018 14:59

Yes, welcome Auntie :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chairman Ed

Post13 May 2018 08:15

Welcome and congratulations on becoming an A40 owner.

I also have a MK2 Countryman ( Dec 1961 ).

To gain access to the clubs extensive range of spares, you will need to join the club.
PreviousNext

Return to Welcome