It is currently 20 Nov 2017 18:52

News from Scotty

Spares "news" & "club info" headlines
  • Author

dave the rave

Site Admin

News from Scotty

Post09 Nov 2016 18:30

( Bear in mind, this is an initiative by Scotty on the clubs behalf. For club members only. )

""We are having our front wing, full height rear quarter panel and door scanned. The press of a keyboard key deals with the opposite hand. Now the profile of these will be preserved forever on a computer memory and we also have a company quoting to fabricate the various panels that make up these complex structures, thus the whole thing, or various assembled parts, or single, or part panels, can be fabricated. Once we have completed this part of the project, we will search out, or borrow, other original panels to try to complete the whole car, both Mk I and II. Hopefully, with the panels already produced, we will finally be able to preserve and reproduce anything required. ""

stoney13

Re: News from Scotty

Post06 Dec 2016 20:10

nice one thats what the club should be about, oh well done scotty ;)
EMA KAY - K- zoid racing ( A40 s/w group & Avon Austineer)

Keith Bennett

Post07 Dec 2016 11:29

Certainly is, Stoney. What most of our casual visitors (to whom, as always, we offer a warm welcome) won't know is that 'Scotty' is not yer usual Club member - he's been involved in classic saloon racing and restoration for a considerable time and over the years has patiently built up an eye-wateringly successful race/resto company. Like a look? Visit http://scottrace.com/aboutus.php and http://www.scottracing.com/ and you'll see what I mean.

gunnerbrat

Post04 Jun 2017 11:26

Hi Keith and Scotty. I am most interested in the scanning process and then in getting panels made from an SL file. How is this A40 project progressing as likewise I have had our Standard Ensign ex-RAF completely scanned but unable to find any interest in it. No one wants to support Standard cars! Can any0ne advise on what I should do with my SL file?

Keith Bennett

Post05 Jun 2017 10:13

Well, scotty's the man to answer your query if anyone can. Your Standard sounds like a rare vehicle and well worth caring for. Do bear in mind that this 3D lark is in its relative infancy and, however it progresses, production costs are likely to be high especially for one-offs.

(Having said that, being an old fart, I well remember the print trade in the 1970s being amused at the emergence of things called Apple Macs, some of whose software allowed for accurate typesetting: within a few years men just coming to the end of their seven-year apprenticeship were unemployable because a teenager with no experience could set text as well and considerably more quickly. The same may indeed apply to 3D printing . . .)

gunnerbrat

Post05 Jun 2017 11:12

Hi Keith. In reply to an 'old Fart' from one even older - yes I do understand the problem and yes 'the Ensign 90AB84' is quite unique in the UK as the only twin of its type is to be found in the Malta RAF museum, quite sad really as ours functions, passes the MoT and gets out to classic vehicle events with people remarking - can't remember ever seeing one before'! The only problem is with its driver, and I wonder how longer he will have energy to function like her? As you say, 'one offs' are expensive but so are traditional hand made products! So where is the British talent out there to back up our computer skills and make British cars great again - not just trendy sports cars?

scotty

Post05 Jun 2017 14:49

Scanning etc has been completed on a number of panels and stored away. Some parts in production, time and workload dependent.
What exactly do you want done, scanning, panel fabrication?

gunnerbrat

Post05 Jun 2017 19:33

Hi Scotty.
Thanks for your reply. What I would like to find out is how to get a final panel made from a SL file scan of the complete outer surface of my Standard Ensign. The problem is transportation ie making a panel without seeing the actual car! How do you work out dimensions from just the SL data? In other words what process does the manufacturer have to perform from SL to a purpose made repair panel? Presently this is just an academic inquiry as there no urgent repair task needing attention. Also, would your organisation be willing to involve itself in a Standard marque?
Many thanks for looking at this problem for me.

scotty

Post07 Jun 2017 07:44

The guys who do our scanning have bucks made from a very rigid material which is laser cut to profile at all the relevant positions. This all assembles into a former over which the panel work can be wheeled, beaten and welded, to the finished article. We have found three companies who are all based very close together, two in fact in the same industrial estate, this allows close collaboration between the parties, the scanner can pop across the road and ask the panel beater exactly where he would like a profile former in a particularly critical position. All this make the process much much easier for everyone, it was just a matter of finding the correct competent companies in the right locations and only about an hour away from us, as we also get a bit involved.
With the technology today things are getting easier and slowly, less expensive but hand made panels are still expensive. Laser printing is allowing certain small press tools to be made of sufficiently hard material for small runs of pressings.
With regards to an interest in the Standard marque, we are interested in any cars preservation, it is all a matter of time and demand. When we are requested to provide a service we do what we can to help.
Last edited by scotty on 07 Jun 2017 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

Keith Bennett

Post07 Jun 2017 13:12

If you'd like to meet scotty on his home territory and have a proper chat I can thoroughly recommend you consider a trip up to his picnic on Sunday 25th June. Full details are on pp 26-27 of your latest Farina News (mine arrived this morning).
Next

Return to Snippets