It is currently 17 Nov 2017 19:15

Fitting Spridget fuel tank

• Author

stoney13

Re: Fitting Spridget fuel tank

Post24 Jan 2017 10:42

fair shout keep us all posted ;)
EMA KAY - K- zoid racing ( A40 s/w group & Avon Austineer)

Pandora

Post29 Jan 2017 15:18

You do have to wonder what they were thinking at BMC at times......?

Using the box the tank was delivered in (I do like to recycle where I can :lol: ) I made a template of the location of the filler neck relative to the mounting holes on the new tank. 5 of the 6 mountings are common to the original A40.

Using this template I managed to mark the location of the new hole. Just need to borrow a hole saw the right size (well, a wee bit over, this isn't precision engineering!) and then I'll join a section of the old filler neck to the new tank using 2 1/4" bore felxi fuel pipe.

I cannot understand why Austin paid to tool up a different tank than the one they used in the spridget. Madness.

Anyway, paint is drying on the new tank, so I'll put up a photo of the final install once it's completed.

Al
Attachments
neck difference.jpg
Template in place.jpg
Making template.jpg

Pandora

Post29 Jan 2017 17:33

Sorry, one other question, does anyone know the thread of the fuel line union into the front of the tank? I might as well replace it when I'm at it, as it's a bit battered looking (mole grips rather than 9/16" spanner in the past, I think)

Al

Mike Hodgson

Post29 Jan 2017 19:00

1/4 BSP
Mike H.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post29 Jan 2017 19:16

Filler pipe rubber hose connection is a standard Midget/Sprite part :-
https://www.ahspares.co.uk/sprite/Fuel- ... fault.aspx ...........item No 6 - AHA5663

An off the shelf bit of pipe might prove cheaper of course, but at least this is designated petrol pipe...........

Not sure whether a Midget fuel filler "neck" is the correct shape etc, but there's two to choose from :-
AHA 5662 :- All Midgets & Sprites, ( except Frogeye ).
CHA 444 :- Midget 1500 only.

stoney13

Post31 Jan 2017 14:25

thats not the only ruddy thing, the axle case, shafts, out of all the cases they had at their disposal why make another !!! :evil:
EMA KAY - K- zoid racing ( A40 s/w group & Avon Austineer)

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post01 Feb 2017 10:37

Totally agree Mrs Stoners..... :mrgreen:

Pandora

Post02 Feb 2017 20:38

I have a spare back axle, but the case is still attached to the rear half of the shell, and is currently an art exhibit. I may not get it back......

:lol:

Al

Keith Bennett

Post03 Feb 2017 10:10

Well, I've heard of A40s being used for strange things - but an art exhibit?? Tell us more...

Pandora

Post12 Feb 2017 12:39

I work at Edinburgh College of Art as the H&S officer and a sculpture student came to see me as he wanted to cut up a car and re-join it with a knot tied in the middle.

The prospect of a student bringing in a car and removing engine, box, fuel systems, air bags, loom etc was far from ideal and the prospect of SEPA chasing us for oil down the drains not too much fun, so it was easier to offer the totally rotten donor shell I got with my car from which I'd removed almost everything of any use.

He was delighted of course, as it was both quirky and more importantly, free. I'm happy as it''s a more fitting end than the scrap heap (though ultimately that's where it'll go, no doubt)

On the up side, when it was in the workshop I managed to trace the edge of the rotten grille support panel so I can have a new one made for my car using the CNC plasma, so not an entirely altruistic act on my part :lol:

Anyway, he cut it in half then found his original plan was too complex for the time available (as we knew it would be, but do they listen?) so when last seen it was displayed bursting through the floor of the Sculpture Court stuffed full of potatoes.

Why potatoes? No idea. It's art, and I stopped asking why long ago........

:lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat