It is currently 23 Nov 2017 09:09

A40 picnic June 2017

• Author

Paul m

A40 picnic June 2017

Post25 Jun 2017 17:30

Have just been to the A40 picnic at Scotties this was my first event since joining the club, i had a great time and spoke to some very nice people,
there some very special cars in the work shop with thd highlight being Doc Shepherds race A40 it is a sight to behold the standard of workmanship on display is second to none.
there were 2 very nice A40's outside that belonged to club members both of which very in great condition and a credit to there owners.
Trevor and his wife made us feel very welcome it was a very nice event

scotty

Re: A40 picnic June 2017

Post26 Jun 2017 10:41

Very pleased you enjoyed your first event Paul. The day turned out well, everyone seemed to enjoy the day. The spread Sue put on was first class and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed. Sorry if I did not get round to talk to you very much but as you are local I am sure you will be round again for a cuppa.
I was really pleased my old friend Howard Dyson was able to make it to chat to various people. He is not a club member but he did sell me Shepherd's car, so I thought an invite would be appropriate.
I hope everyone had a safe trip home.
I have already been asked by some bloke in a shirt and tie if we might repeat. The whole idea of the first visit was to help form an East Anglian Group, for more regular informal meets, must push on with this.

Chairman Ed

Post27 Jun 2017 19:18

An excellent event and thank you Trevor and Sue for all your hard work.
I personally enjoyed the day and marvelled at the innovation you and your team have put into all the cars and especially the A40. Your in depth knowledge of each car was amazing and made the experience better as a result.
I do hope there is an opportunity to visit again and check on progress of the A40.
The car transporter / mobile workshop / hospitality suite was a fantastic piece of engineering.

Good luck with the East Anglian Group.

Keith Bennett

Post27 Jun 2017 19:22

Speaking as that "bloke in a shirt and tie" (what else would your editor wear to a picnic??) I must apologise for not getting on here earlier but life got in the way. Anyhoo, the day certainly was a delight, with members travelling from far a-field (not sure whether John Searby from Whitby or David Lewis from Monmouthshire were the furthest travelled?). Having visited Scotty twice before, I knew what treats we were in for, but it still amused me to see the jaws dropping as their owners explored deeper and deeper into his vast workshop building. Just a shame that his son Simon couldn't be with us cos all the talking fell to Scotty himself - not that he was bothered!

The only disappointment for us was not meeting up with a very long-time Club member Peter Beattie who had hoped to travel from his home in Kent. Apart from his A40, Peter owns an exceptionally rare Standard Ensign van, one of only two still existing (t'other one's in the RAF Museum in Malta!) Next time, hopefully . . .

As Scotty says, he's hoping to drum up interest for an East Anglian Group and he has a couple of really interesting ideas for contacting members within that area. The late, great JD was about to commence producing a membership list based on specific areas so that interested parties could identify members near to them. This won't compromise the list's security nor involve any sort of spamming, rest assured. We'll be talking to Colin Wells, the Club member who's put his name forward as the next mem.sec and who we hope will be voted in at the AGM. One highlight of the visit to Scotty's was the offer from John Searby, who's offered to take the archive. Again, once he's been ratified at the AGM he'll be able to study the archive's contents.

Club member Brian Crabtree sent me some lovely photos and more will appear in September's FN. Thanks for sharing them, Brian.
Scotty 1.jpg

Time for a cuppa: l-r are Paul Mazey (Scotty's head just visible behind him, talking to Howard Dyson), then John Searby, David Lewis, Monty White, Bar Bennett, Sue Parfitt (Scotty's wife and chief caterer - thanks Sue!), Brian and Louise Crabtree and, finally, Sally and Ed Davis. Towering behind them, and dwarfing that van, is ScottRace's vast mobile workshop-cum-crews' living accommodation.

Scotty 6.jpg

UCE 13, the prime attraction. The quality of work on the car is unbelievable.

Scotty 8.jpg

Here's her gearbox - not yer usual sort though: straight-cut gears are capable of being removed via that engineered front plate tucked within the bell housing in order to maximise the car's performance for any given race's rules.

Scotty 13.jpg

A bemused John Searby - and who could blame him? -inspects UCE 13 while all around him sits (almost certainly) millions of pounds-worth of motoring history. In the background I'm talking to Monty and Louise.

Scotty himself.jpg

At the end of an amazing visit, Scotty bids farewell to us as we disperse homewards. That old red Mk1 in the foreground excelled herself as she returned 52.5mpg on the trip from Banbury and back. Her new engine's obviously settled in!

scotty

Post28 Jun 2017 01:18

Thanks for all the good comments, a good day all round. I must applauded Brian and Louise who brought along, used and are proudly displaying, their club mugs in the picture. Put the rest of us to shame, must order one.

Paul m

Post12 Jul 2017 19:21

It would be nice to have a east anglian group and to have a A40 club stand at at least some of the local events for example Cars in the park (Nowton Park a 800 cars) Cars by the Lake Forham all saints 800 cars Kimbolton show ect.

When i get my a40 back (next week I all being well) I will show information on the club in a effort to catch any non a40 members, it would be nice to have a infornation pack that could be printed off that could be given to non members who own a car but are not club members

stoney13

Post12 Jul 2017 20:20

hi paul m , totally agree with you, why dont you start a face book page for your group ??
paul mate you can down load membership stuff and info on the forum hope this helps :)
EMA KAY - K- zoid racing ( A40 s/w group & Avon Austineer)

PeterR

Post13 Jul 2017 11:23

Will any club members be at the BMC/BL spares day at Ferry Meadows P'Boro on 6th August ? I'll be there in my Rover 75 (I don't have an A40 at the moment - currently looking for a project car). Peter

scotty

Post13 Jul 2017 18:08

Any chance anyone might think about doing the organisation for an East Anglian Group? I am not sure how much work is involved, I can supply the venue for any meetings etc.

Keith Bennett

Post13 Jul 2017 18:17

The late mem.sec JD had begun work on creating a mem.listing by area rather than numerical by mem.no and I know that when our new mem.sec Colin Wells receives the membership stuff from Kevin, he's going to be looking into how far JD had got. Not much use at present, I grant you, but . . .

And Paul, there's an A4 information sheet about the A40s and our Club which I shall try to upload here in this reply. It can easily withstand being enlarged to A3 format if you need a bigger display. Thanks for showing the interest in wanting to show one in your car.

A40 Display Showcard 2017.pdf
(2.44 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

Hooray! That worked, then.
Next

Return to Public Chat