It is currently 21 Nov 2018 12:35

MG disc servo?

• Author

Mike Hodgson

Re: MG disc servo?

Post14 Aug 2018 16:18

That does not work (for me ) Keith.I agree with most of your steps but at the end it is not right .this is what works(for me)
your instructions modified
Click on options-Upload attachment
Click Browse
Navigate to the desired image.
Click it and then click Open
(the file name appears in the Browse window.
Click Add the file,
Wait for the download ,when loading is complete the name of file will appear just below file comment box
Click in your text at the point you want the image to appear -, Click place online
Click Preview to make sure the ruddy thing's actually there!
If okay, either continue typing or click Submit.

We really need a simpler method for uploading pictures to this site such as the method used on Facebook
Mike H.

John Bewick

Post14 Aug 2018 17:03

Here we go then, pictures of metro servo / master cylinder on my Mk2. ( Hopefully )

A40 servo 2  800x600.jpg

A40 servo 3  800x600.jpg

A40 servo 800x600.jpg

The mounting bracket bolts directly to the original master cylinder mounting studs. If I recall the only mod that had to be made to fit the assy was to the pushrod from pedal to bellcrank, and obviously new pipework for brake lines and a vacuum hose.
The wiring does require some alteration as the original voltage regulator and fuse box would need to be relocated if still used. As I have alternator fitted no regulator required and I fitted a new fuse box with more fuses to give better protection to more circuits.

Keith Bennett

Post15 Aug 2018 06:29

Thanks Mike, and John for the photos.

John, it'll be interesting to see whether your mods will affect how DVLA treat your car when it comes time to declare it as an original historic vehicle for the purposes of an annual MoT test (assuming, that is, that you may elect to withdraw the car from the test).

John Bewick

Post15 Aug 2018 07:57

It is a bit of a grey area Keith, but really doesn't matter much to me as I will continue to get it MOT'd anyway. I think the cost of an MOT is a small price to pay for a second opinion and it is a good oportunity to see for myself the underside of car, which for me these days is not easy with just a jack and axle stands. And another thing, I am one of those sceptics who think exempting cars from testing is a possible precursor to limiting when and where we can use them, ie No MOT you can't use car on motorways. No MOT you can only use car on weekends............

Mike Hodgson

Post15 Aug 2018 11:04

You are lucky that you are allowed to look under your car while it is on the hoist.Most garages will not allow it on the grounds of safety /insurance etc and have viewing areas some distance from the work area.
You can have a safety check without the need for a full blown MoT
Re possible restrictions .If it should happen then get an MoT if you wish for unrestricted use .

Many younger MoT examiners are not conversant with older cars and often get it wrong ---

some of the failure /advisory notes I have seen on A40s------
Steering rack excessive play
bottom/top ball joint worn
Track control arm joint excessive movement
Chassis plate on passengers door pillar
Makes you think
Mike H.

John Bewick

Post15 Aug 2018 17:25

I suppose I am fortunate to have a local garage that knows and understands classic cars. I was a MOT tester until I retired so they let me sit in and operate controls while test is performed, so luckily when test is completed there is a chance for me to have a look underside while the paperwork is completed.

Totally agree with you Mike re younger testers not being conversant with older cars. I remember when I started testing in the early seventies and had to MOT an Austin 7 with cable brakes I had to be told by the owner how they worked.
Previous

Return to Public Chat