It is currently 21 Nov 2018 12:05

Rear axle identification

• Author

Paul1976

Rear axle identification

Post25 Jul 2018 08:12

Im trying to identify the rear end in my car. Looks like previous owner started to restore, housing has been painted. Axles look pretty tough desipte what people say about them being weak. Are there any part numbers i shiuld be looking for?

dave the rave

Site Admin

Re: Rear axle identification

Post25 Jul 2018 09:41

As far as i know, there's no numbers on the axle casing. I don't think there's numbers on any of the axle casings for the A30/35/40, Midgets/Sprites, Morris Minors & Riley 1.5/Wolseley 1500. These all use an interchangeable differential unit, just with different ratios. What is certain is that the A40 axle is specific to the A40. It's the width that defines it.

whiskybottle

Post26 Jul 2018 11:47

I've twisted half shalts and shattered star gears, but I think the case is strong :lol:
There was a fix for putting ford atlas internals in the A40 axle.

Back to the original question, I thought there was a metal tag under one of the diff bolts identifying the ratio, but these are likely to go missing after 50 years. If it's not an A40 axil the spring mounting plates won't be in the right place.

Paul m

Post01 Aug 2018 14:07

You might need to take care when changing the diff as I just changed 4.5 to 4.2 only to find out that the one I took out had the oil filler plug on diff casing and the new one did not so all change back again. On checking my other cars I see that some axle casings have the filler on the axle casing and some have it on the diff casing so I need to sort a 4.2 diff with the oil filler on the diff casing as I would rather not change the axle

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post01 Aug 2018 19:14

Ah, yes Paul. I forgot about that. Mainly because I've never encountered the problem. I'd simply weld in a filler plug on the back of the axle casing if needs be.

whiskybottle

Post01 Aug 2018 22:49

Paul m wrote:I just changed 4.5 to 4.2 only to find out that the one I took out had the oil filler plug on diff casing and the new one did not so all change back again

lol yes been there. I think it was the orginal 4.5 I smashed so I fitted the Midget 4.2.

Tip the car to one side and poor the requires amount of oil in the end of the axle before fitting the second halfshaft. Sorted

Paul m

Post02 Aug 2018 13:45

I have noted that some people say they have had half shaft issue but on at least some of these I have noticed that it is after doing work on the axle, this might mean they that taken both half shafts out and then they have swapped them over in error.
This would mean that the half shaft is now being turned (twisted) the in a different direction it could be this that is causing the half shafts to fail
I have started to mark my half shafts driver side (D) passenger side (P) to ensure I know which side it came out of

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post02 Aug 2018 16:58

Good point Paul.

Graham Bish

Post03 Aug 2018 08:43

Paul as dave said you are right on this one.

I recently got new wire wheel hubs pressed onto my Sprite halfshafts. I put duck tape labels on them identifying L & R to make sure they pressed the correct hub on each, even though the hubs are handed. They could have pressed the hubs off first and then been unable to identify each side. The engineer who did them, said this was good practice and indeed placing them back in the wrong side effectively "Unwinds the natural torque twist on the splines" leading to possible failure.

Return to Public Chat