It is currently 21 Nov 2018 11:58

1275 Marina motor into Farina

• Author

fastfarina

Re: 1275 Marina motor into Farina

Post22 Aug 2018 12:10

Hi, you will also need to use the rear plate from a small bore, the Marina plate is larger, as is the flywheel. The small bore flywheel can be machined to fit the larger diameter of the Marina crank but the mounting holes and dowel position do not match as I recall. I have used the M.E.D lightweight flywheel for a spridget and machined the ID to suit.
Cheers Bill

Paul1976

Post27 Aug 2018 21:14

Hi Dave,
the top of the herald transmission looks a bit beefier than the cast alloy A40 box, so on first inspection I thought I might have to mount the motor an inch or so further forward to clear the steering cross arm. If the fan became an issue, I've got a radiator I could mount further forward that is wider and lower, so as to fit without cutting into the front support panels. Or as you say, drop the fan blade and go electric front mount.

FYI I've shopped around and if I could find a sprite engine, it would cost more than what I've paid for the complete car, and even then, would be in need of a rebuild.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post27 Aug 2018 21:51

"Herald transmission".....??

John Bewick

Post29 Aug 2018 08:43

I believe the Marina gearbox was similar to that fitted to Triumph Dolomites.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post29 Aug 2018 11:08

John Bewick wrote:I believe the Marina gearbox was similar to that fitted to Triumph Dolomites.

Oh, didn't realise you meant to use the Marina engine WITH its gearbox......... It'll have synchro on first i believe, but might present a few problems re tunnel and gearstick position. The ideal is a Midget box of course, with a Midget front plate. The latter won't be difficult to source here, and being "postable" should'nt cost too much to wing over to NZ. The gearbox might be a different matter of course. Possible more prevalent there than a Midget/Sprite engine though ?
Previous

Return to Public Chat